AFA is proud to support students who are using their talents to further their studies in agriculture. The AFA Scholarship annually awards $500 for one student to use towards their studies in post-secondary Agriculture or a related program.
Although you don’t have to be an AFA member to apply for the scholarship, it does help. If you are an AFA producer member, preference is given to applications submitted by you, your children and your grandchildren. This is just one benefit to being an AFA member.
To be eligible for the AFA scholarship, an applicant must be:
- a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident and be an Alberta resident
- attending a designated post-secondary institution in Alberta
- enrolled full-time in the second or subsequent year of post-secondary study in a program related to the field of agriculture.
The deadline to apply for the upcoming scholarship is August 1, 2015. You can apply online or call 780-427-8640 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. The scholarship is awarded each November.
Recent AFA scholarship winners
Here are two of the most recent AFA scholarship winners.
- The 2014 scholarship was awarded to Nadine Jensen of Claresholm, Alberta, then in her third-year pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Biotechnology at the University of Lethbridge.
- The 2013 scholarship was awarded to Michelle Cradduck of Taber, Alberta, then in her third-year pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Biology at the University of Lethbridge with plans for a career in agricultural research. Since that time, Michelle has put her AFA scholarship to good use, and will soon be finishing her Bachelor of Science in Biology at the University of Lethbridge. She has worked in research studying the genetic make-up of wheat and related opportunities for that crop, and she is so excited about where the research is heading. She is very grateful to her university professor for opening the door to her current research project, and for the help she has received from the AFA scholarship. We will be watching with interest what this emerging agricultural researcher will bring to the table!
Apply for the AFA scholarship today! We’d love to add your name to the list!
How can you give back to agriculture?
Any business, group or individual can donate to the AFA Scholarship fund to ensure its sustainability for future years. Donations are tax deductible. For more information, or to donate in the name of the AFA Scholarship, call the Alberta Heritage Scholarship Fund Endowment Program at 780-427-8640.