AFA is proud to help students who are using their talents to further their studies in agriculture with our annual scholarship. We’d love to add your name to the list!
Each year, the AFA Scholarship awards $500 for one student to use towards studies in a post-secondary agriculture or related program. The deadline to apply for this year’s scholarship is August 1, 2016. The scholarship is awarded each November.
To be eligible for the AFA scholarship, an applicant must be:
- a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada, and an Alberta resident
- attending a designated post-secondary institution in Alberta
- enrolled full-time in the second or subsequent year of post-secondary study in a program related to the field of agriculture.
Applications are available online, but students can also call Student Aid Alberta Service Centre at 1-855-606-2096 for more information.
Students don’t have to be an AFA member to apply for the scholarship, but it helps since preference is given to applications submitted by AFA producer members, their children and their grandchildren. This is just one benefit to being an AFA producer member.
Congratulations to recent AFA scholarship winners!
Here is a brief overview on AFA’s last two scholarship winners. We are proud to help these students with their education!
- Wilson Leung of Edmonton, Alberta was the 2015 recipient of our annual AFA scholarship. Wilson completed his degree in Nutrition and Food Science at the University of Alberta, and is now pursuing a degree in Environmental Health at Concordia University of Edmonton. Wilson is studying strategies related to agriculture including food safety inspection, risk assessment and environmental management.
- The 2014 scholarship was awarded to Nadine Jensen of Claresholm, Alberta, then in her third-year pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Biotechnology at the University of Lethbridge.
Want to give a hand to the next generation in agriculture?
Tax-deductible donations are welcome and encouraged! AFA welcomes contributions from any business, group or individual to help keep the AFA Scholarship fund sustainable for years to come.
For more information, or to donate in the name of the AFA Scholarship, call the Alberta Scholarships Program at 780-427-8640. As we mentioned earlier, donations are tax deductible.